Thrandeston sign
Kelly's Directory of Suffolk, 1912
Page 410

THRANDESTON IS a parish and scattered village, 2½ miles south from Diss station and 2 north-east from Mellis station on the Ipswich and Norwich section of the Great Eastern railway and 3 north-west from Eye, in the North Eastern division of the county, Hartismere hundred, petty sessions: division and union, Eye county court district, rural deanery of North Hartismere, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is a handsome building of flint with stone dressings, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the east window and four others in chancel are stained, and were erected as memorials to members of the French family: both the chancel and tower are divided from the nave by handsome carved screens: the reredos was erected in 1870 in memory of Thomas French esq: the font is ancient and there is a carved oak eagle lectern and several armorial shields to the families of Rix and Blakeby; and a monument to Rev. Nathaniel D’Eye M.A. rector from 1800: the church affords 180 sittings. The register dates from the year 1588. The living Is a rectory, net yearly value £331, with 16 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dowager Lady Bateman, and held since 1909 by the Rev. William Henry Denison M.A. of St John’s College, Oxford There Is a charity of £3 yearly, which is expended in coals for the poor: the rents of about 14 acres of land, with cottages, now about £20 a year, are applied to the repairs of the church and school. The Dowager Lady Bateman, of Brome Hall is lady of the manor. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late Rev. Thomas Lee French M A rector 1845-1909, John Tudor Frere esq of The Friarage, Roydon, Norfolk, Thomas Rix esq of Thrandeston Abbey, Messrs Archibald Stanford and Thomas Elliott. The soil is mixed, inclining to stiff, subsoil, chiefly clay. The crops are on the four-course system. The area is 1,386 acres; rateable value, £1,881; the population in 1911 was 293.
Parish Clerk, John Ling
Post Office.-Alfred J Johnson, sub-postmaster. Letters through Diss arrive at 6.35 a m & 7 p m to callers only; dispatched at 7 p m; sundays, 7 a m Palgrave, 1½ miles distant, is the nearest telegraph & money order office
Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1850 supported by the rector & certain of the landed proprietors, for about 60 children; average attendance, 53; Mrs. Mary Johnson, mistress

Denison Rev William Henry M A, Rector,Rectory
Rix Thomas, Thrandeston Abbey
Beales John, assistant overseer
Butcher Isaac, blacksmith
Clarke John, farmer
Cole Harry, farmer
Easto Charles Watson, Queen's Head PH
Elliott Thomas, farmer
French John, poulterer
French Robert, poulterer
Johnson Alfred J, stationer and Post office
Merton Robert, farmer
Morley Joseph G. farmer
Rayner Fred, farmer, Lodge Farm
Rayner George, farmer, Rectory Farm
RIches Richard Ransome, farmer Goswold Hall and Marsh Farm
Rix Thomass. farmer, Thrandeston Abbey
Ruffells Charles, builder
Sandy Herbert, bricklayer and shopkeeper
Stanford Archibald, farmer, Church Farm
Wade George, farmer
Woods James, osier grower

  [ Home ] [ Local ] [ Thrandeston ]  

Page last updated: 28 Oct 2022
© Diss Family History Group & Nigel Peacock 2022